Treatment method for lost teeth
01. Bridge treatment
Bridge treatment refers to the artificial teeth created by crowning several teeth in one clump after eliminating teeth existing on the left and right parts of the toothless area. This method can be used if the patient is only missing one or two teeth and has healthy natural teeth to serve as pillars for the grafted implant. Generally, it takes 1~2 weeks to chew normally and temporary teeth are used during this period. This device is supported by the crowned natural teeth and is permanently fastened unlike dentures that can be freely removed and inserted.
Advantages of Bridge
- Cheaper than implant.
- Can achieve quick treatment.
- Lifespan : 8~10 years.
Disadvantages of Bridge
- Damages healthy teeth.
- Damaged teeth can be lost after some time.
- Difficult to manage and increased outbreak of cavity.
- Decrease in gum bone is presented for bridge in upper teeth.
02. Denture treatment (partial, total)
As a type of prosthetics that can be independently removed or inserted by the patient, denture treatment is designed to raplace lost tooth and adjacent tissue when it is judged that aesthetic, functional recovery cannot be gained through general prosthetics, which crowns teeth due to loss of several teeth or the complete loss of molar teeth.
Types of dentures
- Partial dentures can be fastened by hanging loops on surrounding teeth.
- Total dentures are directly fastened on gum.
Disadvantages of dentures
- Triggers feeling of imitation and pain.
- Cannot chew tough food.
- Unnatural mouth shape.
- Discomfort of being easily removed or inserted.
- Inaccurate pronunciation.
03. Implant treatment
As the surgery compensating the inefficiency and discomfort of dentures and the anxiety of damaging healthy, natural teeth through golden crown prosthetics, implant is the newest therapy method that replaces deciduous teeth by grafting artificial teeth within bone to eliminate discomfort of dentures and recover function and aesthetics of original teeth without damaging healthy natural teeth.
Advantages of Implant
- Complements disadvantages of existing treatment methods. (bridge, denture)
- Can maintain long lifespan.
- Can recover lost teeth without damaing surrounding teeth.
- Can replace insufficient bone due to bone resorption through self or artificial bone.
- Can achieve psychological stability to regain youth and confidence.